Author Archives: Amanda Adwon

Adwon

I know the purpose of this paper is to write about mediums and give a testimony to their stories, but then I ran across psychicbutsane.com. This is a website giving testimony that psychics are sane, but then that brought up the question in my mind, what if they are just insane?. To play devil’s advocate, mediums claim that everyone has the ability to have psychic connections but they ignore the feelings and that all people can read others but we don’t tap into our “spiritual connections”. I would like to debate this claim. I think all people can sense the energy of someone else but this doesn’t mean they have psychic abilities. Humans have the innate ability to know when they’re around good people and bad people, or when they’re making the wrong or right decision. It’s called intuition, or a gut feeling, and my mom always told me to trust those. I have been in many situations or been around people when I have a deep feeling that I shouldn’t be there or that the person I’m around isn’t good news. In Christian terms.. I would attribute this to God or the concept of knowing what path we’re on and following His will. There are definitely times when I know I’m supposed to do something so I do it and it starts a chain reaction of good things that happen. I also think we know when to make moves in our lives. Melissa said she knew when to buy a ticket to Brazil because of her psychic abilities, but I think all humans have this capability if we tap into our deeper selves.

I am a skeptic. I love the idea that people we love are around us as spirits- as angels. But many mediums don’t phrase it this way. They say spirits come back to say hi or ask deep questions about a persons life until they get a hint of information they can you.

This link is about a man who admitted to being a fake because his conscience couldn’t take it anymore.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197662/Professional-medium-repents-life-cons-reveals-duped-people-believing-talk-DEAD.html

This is a video of a fake psychic on Dr. Oz which is a reputable  show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTogsiNw1Ok

I disagree with mediums who say that all people can talk to the dead. I think there are angels and demons within our realm that are there to protect us and tempt us with sin and when we lead strong spiritual lives whether by a specific religion or just spirituality, we can more easily feel those beings.

The concept of angels who are around to protect me makes me happy. The concept that there are human beings just like me that claim they can see or hear peoples loved ones who have died, bring me an extremely negative feeling. I don’t think anyone’s memories should be tainted or changed and I especially don’t think it’s right to falsely make claims about speaking to someone’s deceased.

Amanda Adwon Response

The concept of contacting the other side or of mediums is completely foreign to me. It’s hard thinking that this could be true when you’ve lived your entire life thinking its crazy- but Schwartz is convincing. One of the parts that stood out the most to me is when they did the cold sitting where the medium and the sitter were in different rooms. At the same time I could see how this could be in support of skeptics. I agree with Schwartz in his thought process. By a medium assuming someone’s grandma has died, if you’re of a certain age there is an extremely high chance you’ve lost a grandparent and that anyone can guess that. He says that “the latest scientific discoveries” and the like. The living wants to “give and receive expressions of love.” I can definitely see how this is true in terms of connecting to the deceased. If I were to hear anything from loved ones who have died then I would want it to be out of love. But couldn’t the mediums know this and this be how they survive as a profession? They have figured out what people respond to and how to get them to want more and that the concept of love is all people want? I think if that were the case, it would either be extremely disrespectful of mediums to take advantage of people, or it would be a healing mechanism of sorts.

My take away from this reading is more of a question than anything. I am skeptical about this process but if I were to put it into terms that I understand- in the same way that we are our spirits, what if there is truth to earth being purgatory for our souls? What if when our souls go to our bodies, it is Gods test of the kind of person we will become? Can the spirit defeat sin and the human condition which is overwhelmingly concerned with greed, lust, selfishness etc. What if In the same ways that people have heightened connection to the other side as with NDEs or extreme meditation that their spirits still have a connection to the other side? In this sense, I think the entire concept of Christianity gets negated right? It would be so cool to think that God left some portals open from the human realm up to Him so that we could be near but at the same time that wouldn’t be treating everyone fairly and as having the same sin.

I guess I didn’t necessarily write about what we’re supposed to but this sparked a lot of thoughts about understanding how it can be completely fake but at the same time trying to justify it in my mind.

in all the NDEs is there anything said about prayer? People are constantly praying all the time here on earth but if when people who have NDEs and go to heaven and meet God where do prayers go?