McNees, Brianna 2/19

This week I was interested in looking at those mediums that have made a career out of their ability to communicate with the dead.  To begin my research I googled the top mediums and Concertta Bertoldi and George Anderson were amongst the search results.  In looking further into their biographies and notable work that they have done as mediums, it was interesting to see the similiarties and differences between their career pathways.  Both mediums became aware of their abilities during their childhood.  George Anderson had his first experience with this type of phenomenon after he had had a near-death experience with the chicken pox at the age of six.  It all started when he started to see St. Joan of Arc and then later saw deceased relatives.  Concerttta Bertoldi did not have any significant experience that marked the start of these events, but at age eleven she was told that her brother was going to pass away early and she would not be able to have kids.

After having these experiences at a young age, they knew they were both different from any other person and embraced these abilities.  Later in life they began to share these abilities with others and soon gained fame within society for it.  Both mediums are distinguished throughout the country and have appeared on various talk shows, interviews and have published multiple top-selling books on the topics.  After further exploration, it was shocking to see the business side of being a medium.  On George Anderson’s personal website, they list the different services that are available to the public to sign up for.  These included personal, group and telephone reading sessions.  These sessions ranged anywhere from $400-$1200.  This surprised me that the cost was so high because this was a skill that others have, but have not been exploited to this extent.

After speaking with the mediums in class on Monday and learning more about Bertoldi and Anderson, it is interesting to me that they are able to start this form of communication right on the spot.  In an interview, Anderson stated that opening up and beginning these conversations took a lot of concentration on his end.  Therefore, I was surprised when he was able to communicate with multiple people on national television where there are many distractions in the room.  It is because of this that I started to question the legitimacy of these individuals.  How is it that they are able to connect with so many individuals on the spot?  Is it a performance or is it authentic?