The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible By Charles Eisenstein

This Book really put a lot of what we have been talking about into perspective for me. Obviously learning about such things, as a greater consciousness and the impact of meditation are important to know about and explore. But there comes a point when one starts to ask what is the point of it all? What do I make of this universal consciousness? How can meditation or mindfulness have greater impact on my life then just these individual benefits? I think there are many answers to these questions and I believe some of the books we have already read have gotten to the root of some of these thoughts. But I believe Eisenstein addressed these questions in a whole new way.

In a world that is slowly, or not so slowly crippling under this false facade we hide under it is so easy to be disheartened and pessimistic about the world we live in. More and more I am starting to acknowledge my own cynicism, as I am good at seeing the worst in things. I believe that is why this book resonated well with me. I didn’t need Eisenstein to do much convincing to make me see that this world we live in is not what it is cracked up to be.

However Eisenstein did not leave us with only these rather gloomy thoughts but instead with a new revelation, that being that we are all connected. From this new point of view we are empowered to become more resilient as we come to see that the small personal choices we make really do matter because of our interconnectedness. In fact Eisenstein makes the rather profound claim that our good intentions deeds and acts or kindness mean nothing with out coming to terms with the truth that we are not separate from each other.

One part of this book that particularly stood out to me pertained to the question of how meditation and mindfulness can have a greater impact on our lives then just what we have read about thus far. Answers to this question were embedded throughout the book, however one answer I particularly liked came from chapter 19 “Doing.” Here Eisenstein spends some time talking about how our constant doing has lead us down this terrible unforeseen path. Eisenstein points out that perhaps more doing will lead us out of this maize of troubles we find ourselves in but that stopping and reflecting might be a better way to handle our crisis. We as a society often look at these times of pause emptiness and silence as pointless and impractical but Eisenstein points out that this is futile thinking. As we trying to solve the problems in this world “we reenact again and again the same solutions that brought us to our present extremity. Where does the wisdom to act in entirely new ways come from? It comes from nowhere, from the void.

When I read this segment I must confess that I started to feel a bit exhilarated. I think its because I like to see the connections and seeing elements of whatever this greater thing is come together is truly magical. More importantly I think Eisenstein though his thoughts gives us all a clearer view of how this new direction could begin to take form.