Izzie Osiniecka 3/19

Izzie Osiniecka

Psych 401

3/17/14

The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible

I do not think I connected with this book as much as I was hoping I would. Overall, I got this dystopia, living in a state of doom type vibe. It reminded me of reading 1984 or the Hunger Games. Though Eisenstein is suggesting ways for us to change the world and ourselves to be better, this book did not resonate that well with me. I am not completely sure why this was the take away I had from the book. It could simply be that I was not in the right mindset when reading it. I did find the book interesting, but not exactly life changing (as I expect was the author’s intention). I did, however, find the chapter on consciousness rather noteworthy—which I guess is fitting, seeing as this class is called Psychology of Consciousness.

“Chapter 32: Consciousness” brought up some points that we discussed in Mind, Brain, and Spirituality. Though I do not think these are life-or-death topics, I do think they are good things to think about. One of the main points in that chapter is about deciding what exactly is consciousness, and at what point do we say something is or in not conscious. This is always an interesting thing to think about, especially when you are presented with the notion that we are either all a part of one consciousness, or the opposite notion that there is no such thing as consciousness and it is all in our heads, no pun intended. I like that the author made a point in this chapter to make us stop and think about what or whom we attribute consciousness to, and how this affects the way we interact with different parts of the world (such as animals, plants, and each other). It is always good to stop and remember that most of the thing that we come into contact with are alive and have a spirit and therefore deserve respect, and that the parts of nature that are not conscious in the way we consider humans to be deserve respect as well, because we are all living on the same Earth.