3.19

I was truly captivated by Eisenstein’s reading that you provided us with for this week. I really enjoyed the slight theme switch from death, near death experiences, reincarnation, and mediums to a topic more about life. Eisenstein has a nice simple style of writing and it’s less scientific than the readings we have covered previously this semester. I was able to resonate with so many chapters—it was all relatable to questions I often ask myself and philosophical things about life that race through my head at night before I go to bed. The chapter on ‘interbeing’ was the first chapter that caught my eye. A part of the chapter reads, “the interbeing is something we can feel.” I think it is so fascinating how connected human beings are. The chapter uses the example of feeling hurt when we hear about harm to another person. Recently I wrote a speech for an event and had a few people read it to give me feedback and everyone cried even though the speech wasn’t written for them. They cried and felt my writing even though they did not go to the University of Michigan. I really admired when Eisenstein said, “we are all greater than what we have been told…we are each other and we are the world.” That statement reminds me why it’s important to have a purpose, to help other people, to create friendships and relationships, and always be there to lend a hand. We are each other and we are the world—that shows how we are interconnected and why we are brought up with a desire to be good to others. This chapter showed similarities to One Mind in the sense that we are all one.

Other chapters that really stuck with me were Hope and Reality. I have never correlated the two words together before but reading this book makes me wonder whether the two are opposites. Eisenstein says that hope implies a rejection of the present moment. I can understand that definition but does there come a point where ‘hope’ is a waste of time because reality overpowers? Does hope really “prolong the torments of man” because they refuse to accept reality? In the chapter on Reality, it talks about limiting beliefs—I see that essentially as limiting hope. In life, it is so difficult to find balances in everything you do whether it’s between social lives, personal lives, work lives, or figuring out whether one should hope or face reality in a situation. Who decides what reality is? Don’t we? And if so, doesn’t that mean we can hope as long as we want and it shouldn’t be a torment? I wonder.

This brings me to the chapter on miracles. On a day-to-day basis, we easily use words like faith, hope, reality, and miracles but what do these words actually mean? Eisenstein explains that a miracle is an invitation to a larger reality. So this means that similar to how there are multiple levels of consciousness, there are multiple realities? I truly loved reading The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible but it brought so many unanswerable questions to the forefront of my brain. I feel like as I think deeper and deeper and more philosophically into the meaning of life, I know even less. Sometimes I feel like I should ask a naïve child these questions to see what they come up with because it could be better than my idea. How are miracles, truth, and consciousness related? For what it’s worth, I know that an opportunity to be given life on this Earth is something one shouldn’t take for granted and as I continue my journey it’s important to stay in touch with my interbeing. I feel like the rest should come if I am true to myself, make myself happy, and do things for the goodness of other people.