3/26 Reincarnation and Biology

After watching the film in class on Monday, I became very intrigued about the concept of reincarnation as it correlates to near death experiences because of the similarities I observed. To explain, the reincarnation cases described in the video in class showed specific examples where the rebirthed souls seemed to be placed into a geographic location or family for a reason, thus non-randomly. For instance, in the case that involved a girl who drowned and was “born” into another family, it seemed to be more than coincidence that she ended up back to her original family. Similarly, all of the cases of people being reborn into the same families seem like more than a coincidence, especially when they bring up having a choice or having a card to come back to the world of the living. This got me to thinking about how this corresponds with the stories of people experiencing near death experiences. In both cases, there is a recurring theme of people coming back from the “other side” for a purpose or after a sudden unforeseen tragic passing or incident. This sparks the question of whether there is a bigger picture or higher purpose behind all of these alleged crossing over and backs. Therefore, when reading Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect this week, I thought a lot about the parallels with the near death experiences we have analyzed thus far in this course and how they fit in with my current views on the subject.

I found it very interesting that the majority of the cases analyzed in the book were located in South Asia and West Africa, where the socioeconomic conditions are relatively lower, communities are rural, and primary occupations are agriculture or nomadic village work. Beyond the memories, personalities, and psychological evidence, what really stood out to me after reading the book were the vivid examples shown through images as examples of reincarnation from a physiological perspective. Although there are many similarities between humans in general in terms of human anatomy, more unique characteristics such as birthmarks or defects rarely intersect, especially in cases of reincarnation could serve to provide biological support. The birthmark on the head of Chanai Choomalaiwong’s head that corresponded directly to the bullet wound entry on Bua Kai when he died seems like very hard evidence given the memories that Chanai recounted of Bua Kai’s life and death. This also reinforces my theory that these reincarnations are very in line with the near death experiences that we studied in class because there is obviously a reason why Bua Kai’s soul was sent back to the Earth. The homicide obviously ended Bua Kai’s life suddenly and prematurely, which is why he came back as Chanai in order to fulfill his fate and live out his intended experiences through another human body. The biological evidence presented in Stevenson’s book especially in children also correlates with the video we watched in class, which presented a lot of cases where the reincarnated souls were in children younger than 9.

One thought on “3/26 Reincarnation and Biology