26 March 2014

Liana Rosenbloom

Dr. Michael Newton’s Journey of Souls dissects the track that a soul takes into the spiritual world.  He looks at everything from the movement into the afterlife, to different varieties of souls, to life selection and rebirth.  All of this is presented through a series of cases, with both Newton’s summaries and analysis, accompanied by transcripts of the conversations with these individuals after their rebirth.  As I continue to work through the spiritual aspects of the material we’ve learned so far in this course, the chapters on what Newton terms “beginner, intermediate and advanced” souls were extremely beneficial to me.

Through the stories told by the reincarnated souls with whom Newton speaks, the reader sees examples of the lives that are categorized as each type of soul, from beginner to advanced.  Most notably is the focus on perfection, morality and communication between souls as they advance along this path.  Beginner souls are known for having a difficult time accepting the faults of themselves and others, and are a contrast to the “perfect,” idealized image we tend to have of souls.  “People tend to think of souls in the free state as being without human deficiencies,” Newton says, when in fact, he notes, they are a lot like real-life groups and families, having flaws and undergoing daily struggles.  As souls become “intermediate,” Newton gathers based on his conversations that there is less interaction between souls and that high moral standards become a key.  Newton also explains that these souls are likely modest about their achievements.  Finally, advanced souls, which are supposedly rather scarce, are known for their patience with others and ability to cope.  They are also relatively solitary in their activities.

This evidence presented by Newton from those who have experienced life on the other side still leave me with a certain degree of skepticism.  In some ways, I feel this division of souls sounds too nit-picky and specific.  I am not sure that I can accept the idea that souls are divided into such distinct categories, but the cases that are presented do give me some security in the role that souls play in our daily lives.  This feeling is best captured by the line “souls eventually made us human, not the reverse.”  The relationship between the physical world, souls and the aspects of what make us human are extremely beneficial concepts, and are helping me shape my view of the spiritual world moving forward.

One thought on “26 March 2014