4/9 Tucker

For this week’s reading, I decided to further my understanding of reincarnation by looking at a different perspective: through children’s memories of previous lives. After diving into Dr. Jim B. Tucker’s Life Before Life, it reconfirmed my assumption that memories of reincarnations are typically are the most vivid in the early childhood but then gradually phase out as illustrated by the other readings and videos watched in class. My opinion is that unlike the previous book that I read, Many Lives, Many Masters, the numerous cases (2500) studied over forty years provides a very strong empirical backing for this phenomenon. One part that was especially intrigued me was the chapter on sex changing cases, where the children lived as a different sex in the previous live. These children somehow experienced characteristics and tendencies of the opposite sex, which implies that they were carried over from a previous life through a consciousness that continues beyond life as we know it. These gender identity cases usually led to sex changes later in life and were marked by the similar birthmarks of the people they claimed to be rebirthed as. As wild and controversial as these observations seem, if true, they seem to be deciding factors as to whether or not I believe the stories present. This is because unlike other parts of people’s stories that can be easily fabricated, something as large as a permanent sex change from a belief of being reincarnated in a different body is something that can’t be ignored or taken lightly.

Another experience that was very impactful this past week was attending President Obama’s speech on campus. This speech, which I waited eighteen hours over the course of two nights to attend, highlighted the necessity of raising the national federal minimum wage to $10.10. Although Michigan and a lot of the country are already on board with this plan, the President obviously felt that it was an important enough of an issue to speak about it all the way out here in Michigan. The premise of the bill is that people who work full time at minimum wage are still living in poverty because the minimum wage has not been adjusted for inflation or increase in living costs over the years. This statement really resonates with the concept of collective consciousness that we studied in class, specifically in the book One Mind.

Why would so many people feel the need to raise minimum wage so that people working on minimum wage don’t have to work two jobs and can afford to live above the poverty threshold? Specifically, why would middle and upper class people ever support this bill because it obviously would create the effect of raising living costs overall for everyone if this would only hurt their chances for evolutionary biological success? And lastly, why would people care at all about this if it were not for the fact that we are all connected on a larger conscious level and therefore watch out for each other’s well-being on some circumstances?